Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Teamwork

So...as of Monday, most of the downstairs had been de-plastered, but was still on the floor. I had my second dumpster delivered, and proceeded to fill it up. Plaster sure is heavy stuff! Patrick has helped out a couple of days, and I have been very proud of him. He may not get as much done as a bigger person, but he sure has a lot of heart, and definitely doesn't complain any more than the average member of a construction crew. Yesterday, I hired on four people from the neighborhood. They have all been out of work, scraping to get by. I can't afford to pay much, but they still are greatful and working hard. I'm learning more about the neighborhood from them, which is always a good thing. Learning who the people are that one does not want to associate with, and those who can be trusted. One thing about the ghetto, people keep their eyes open to what is going on around them. We have been talking about starting up a neighborhood watch, and donating time to work on peoples houses, people who can't do/afford it themselves. Talking about all of us cleaning up the trash in the alleys too, stuff like that. It does seem like most of the people want a better environment. Brother/sisterhood in the neighborhood seems fairly strong, as I expected, and I am very happy to have the opportunity to help people and enrich the community. God willing, I can continue for quite a while.

No comments: